Many ideas, Mainly usability
Dec 30 2009, 13:38
Joined: 30-December 09
I believe that although enough attention is given by most developers and users to technical aspects and features of eMule, there is little usability awareness among both groups. There are way to many unnecessary clicks, flow breakers, to much seemingly useful information that only clutters the screen
Here are some examples of what is i thought could be useful. All the images below are made in regular eMule but do apply to any mod.
There are three cathegories of i propose changes:
1. Static "Connected" icon is replaced with the smart icon normally found in the status line bottom right with little arrows changing colors to reflect collection status
2. Common Actions Toolbar (customizable, dockable and optional).
3. Quick Search toolbar (customizable, dockable and optional) Search results open in Search window or optionally in bottom pane #6. Extended search query syntax lets you type other search criteria (Min and Max size, Availability, etc) right into the search string. The method (Global, KAD, Server etc) drop down can be removed from Quick Search, in that case the setting in the Search Window is taken as default.
6. Bottom (Info) pane - resizable, hideable, optional you name it... Use of this pane instead of separate (modal) window simplifies using eMule a lot. It's a well known pattern used by many modern apps.
7. Simplified bad sources cancellation flow - Huge Cancel button right next to "Up" and "Down" - as i scroll down the list and from the file names in the info pane see that the files are not what they seem to be, i cancel downloads with one swift movement. The smart Cancel confirmation dialog includes an option to stay out of my way if i am an experienced user. I admit that with Common Action Toolbar big Cancel button is an overkill but it minimizes moving up and down if i go through a long list of potentially bad downloads. On the other hand maybe these two UP and DOWN buttons can be placed on the Common Action Toolbar instead.
5. "Save in Directory..." (Already implemented in eMule Plus)
10. (not in the picture) Archives are (optionally) automatically unpacked into subdirectores (of the default incoming directory or of the directory specified at #5) bearing corresponding archive names.
Denerdification (similar to the demilitarization process Japan had to undergo after WWII)
4. "Priority" item bumped down the menu. I don't remember when i used it last time but then again maybe a lot of people use it.
8. Download Info Tabs are sorted by Humanitarian principle: from things to which all humans can relate, like name and comments on top to high nerd factor data, like Hash number, compression etc at the bottom.
9. All seeming important data, dashboard gimmicks, including the status bar itself are optional and can be hidden. That reduces visual pollution and gives extra vertical space
Also not in the picture
11. All Directories that are shared through eMule are marked and can be recognised in Windows Explorer by eMule Share Icon
|Lo-Fi Version||Time is now: 8th July 2015 - 02:21|