2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Automatic ipfilter list update., Look at the title :P

Sleepy
Jul 7 2003, 13:37
+Quote Post

Group: Translators

Everyone knows about the false chunks being send over the network, created by the riaa/mpaa and corporations like that.

A few questions has risen on how to shield your IP's from the riaa/mpaa and corporations like that.

The answer in my opinion could be the following:

The ipfilter.dat file:
This contains all the ip's to which emule can Not connect, the blocked ip's. It is possible to add your own ip ranges. look through the emule faq for a better explanation.

There is a program called PeerGuardian (http://www.simplyclick.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp)
This program filters the ip's for other programs.. like kazaa and soulseek..

The lists from that website can be added in emule by the following 'translation' program: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/convert.html

My suggestion here is, to work around this problem to make the emule ipfilter.dat file update automatically from that website, there is a plain text version available for download there, look around yourself.

If it is updated automatically, the emule network will be cleaned of useless ip's and 90% of the false chunks. And the questions of how to hide the ip's from these corporations is solved aswell.. for about 90% that is. because for them to see what you are sharing you need to be connected to them and you can't because their ip is blocked.

Just my 2 cents smile.gif

Sleepy.

[edit]and i just found another use for this, the banned leechingmods can be added to this file automatically.[/edit]

This post has been edited by Sleepy: Jul 7 2003, 13:47
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
Post #1
SyruS
Jul 7 2003, 14:57
+Quote Post

Group: Retired Devs

why makin a new thread when there is already one >> Auto update of ipfilter.dat
Post #2
Sleepy
Jul 7 2003, 16:15
+Quote Post

forgot to look at it wink.gif sorry...

but then again.. this one has it better explained..
Post #3
rasor
Jul 7 2003, 16:30
+Quote Post

Group: Members

QUOTE (Sleepy @ Jul 7 2003, 01:37 PM)
Everyone knows about the false chunks being send over the network, created by the riaa/mpaa and corporations like that.

hi

lol how can you be sure of that ? atm no serious test have been made , the only things that is sure is that they try to know what you are sharing or downloading...

that's why ip filtering disconnect them when they recognise some ip present on ipfilter.dat

and about peerguardian, this is a good program , idea is good but there is no verification of the ip posted in his main www page and if your a bit curious, look at his feedback/comment ( think more than 50 % of the ip are bloated )

personnally i dont think that an auto-update of the ipfilter can be a good solution like some mods do atm because you have no feedback from what your are filtering ( its good to know what is added and what is suppressed ).
and Ip from those kind of organization dont change all days, buying a ip range cost some money so choras is still, in my mind a good choice.

and about auto adding leecher mod, take care most of ppl got their connexion reseted all 24h so they got a new ip and the old banned one can be a good client...

finally the best way to got a good and valid ipfilter is to make it yourself and test what is filtered ...

best regards

++

Post #4
Sleepy
Jul 7 2003, 20:39
+Quote Post

Well the website i showed has a voting system, ppl vote the bad and the good blocked ranges.. that works quite well.. and that's why i suggest an autoupdate so that the wrong ip's filters can be removed.

And the ipfilter.dat functionality can be changed to also accept userhashes and that can be added to a centralized database too! so that leechermods can be blocked for good.

Maybe it's an idea.. the one thing i'd really like is to discuss this with an programmer from the mod, there are some more problems i have answers to regarding this ipfilter matter. but i can only answer them if the questions are asked wink.gif

btw to know what is added or suppressed, well just look through the database of filtered ip's.. it's as easy as that.

Oh and im sure of the fact that de riaa/mpaa sends wrong chunks.. because it has been in the news all over holland about 3 times, they hire companies called overpeer and things like that..
Post #5
janes bong
Jul 7 2003, 20:51
+Quote Post

Group: Retired Supporters

what about when a leecher uses your hash?... Then YOU might end up being the blocked one...

The IP could be one bad user on a college with a big fat pipe... Would it be wise to ban the entire college because of one bad user?

My feelings about ipfiltering is mixed - I like to make things hard for some people - sure, but some users are - sorry to say - stupid enough to ban all kinds of IP ranges and that 'playing god' sensation is a bad thing - far worst than leechers IMO.

Auto update IPFilter.dat? ... Nah, I'd rather hardcode the IP's into the client and make sure that the IPs are REALLY ones that we do not want.

JB
Post #6
Sleepy
Jul 7 2003, 23:01
+Quote Post

ok the one for blocking ip's and hashes from users is bad...

now about filtering ip ranges from company's:
And being it hardcoded? yes could be..

then update that automatically because more and more police organisations or strange company's like the riaa/mpaa are working against the emule network, it's the truth..

since i started using ipfilterlists i only very rarely (once a month) get a false chunk.. that's says enough to convince me that this might just be neccesary.. and of course.. make the original database a bit good..

and ehm.. if a user bans another user with a good upload.. that's his problem, this isn't supposed to go to the database.. all ip ranges there have to be checked and submitted more then 3 times before it will be added.

the idea is good.. now just to find a way to show it.. well try it for yourself, add a list in the ipfilter.dat file and see how much less false chunks you'll get....

Is there a way to discuss this with an programmer of emuleplus or what?
Post #7
netwolf
Jul 8 2003, 00:02
+Quote Post

Actually thatīs not a question of programming knowledge, is it ?
Post #8
Sleepy
Jul 8 2003, 01:08
+Quote Post

Developer whatever... just someone to explain it to in a good manner.. preferably in dutch wink.gif

and if it has to be hardcoded, yes programmer.. hardcodes a bit hard without a programmer you know tongue.gif

oh and something else.. shouldn't be posted here .. i know.. if you are looking for a dutch translator.. i'd like to help out wink.gif

This post has been edited by Sleepy: Jul 8 2003, 01:10
Post #9
netwolf
Jul 8 2003, 01:44
+Quote Post

Erm, why donīt you simply explain it to anybody who is interested in reading it - in a good manner ?!
Isnīt that what a forum is there for wink.gif

btw: if you do so (or did in your first post), chances that a programmer reads and comments it are way higher than if you wait for a private appointment cool.gif Until now you mainly said 'there is something I wanna talk about...')
Post #10
Sleepy
Jul 8 2003, 02:02
+Quote Post

I've explained it.. but there's more to it.. i only meant to say that i can answer 99%of the questions.. but they need to be asked!
Post #11
netwolf
Jul 8 2003, 02:14
+Quote Post

Well, I can tell you why I donīt like updating Ipfilter.dat during runtime: it can be easily abused for permanently (!) banning users - or better said usersī IPs.

There are many dynIP lines, and chances are high that the user who gets the IP next canīt download from you just because you have been of the opinion that a completely different user did something wrong and therefore added his IP to your Ipfilter.dat.

Besides that, I have my doubts regarding the reliability of those lists.
Even though I have to admit that the idea of adding verified leechers to the list sounds interesting, I on the other hand do not like the idea of a centralised database I have to communicate with all the time, and due to dynIPs it wouldnīt make much sense on the long turn anyway.
(actually I donīt like auto-updates at all, be it Windows or eMule wink.gif )
Post #12
janes bong
Jul 8 2003, 04:21
+Quote Post

Group: Retired Supporters

...ok, this is on a side note but it is not entirely wrong:

The mpaa/riaa would have a easy job adding a country or two (one ISP or two) a day to put some REAL stress on the network.

They will off course be removed again after some time - can't tell you for sure about the timeframe but it must be anything from a few days to a couple of weeks before it is noticed...

I can easyli understand that users have the need for the updates, but if it is THAT important, then update it before eMule is launched.

I doubt that 'they' buy a new iprange every day and therefore we do not need to update ipfilter.dat with 10 - 12 - 24 hours or whatever interval.

With next release of eMule – I guess - we will add an updated and verified/tested ipfilter.

The first one IIRC had quite a lot of legit IP ranges in it?
Was it not a fact that more than one country was blocked?... I have a vague memory about at least some Canadian whom found his ISP in the ipfilter.dat

It is not a bad feature request - but you have not convinced me about it's need yet. wink.gif

JB
Post #13
Sleepy
Jul 8 2003, 16:49
+Quote Post

Ok here we go..

Personal experience..!

The serverlists gets outdated fast.. if i don't update my serverlist for one week i get another shitload of bad chunks, if i Do update after that.. the false chunks are gone again.. try it yourself..

I know that there is a list with every new emuleplus edition.. but since the list has to be updated more often then the emuleplus versions rise this isn't working..

it's not that the riaa gets more ip's but because more and more companies are starting to support this way of polluting the system.. and since the riaa is a combined effort of companies the overall costs of a new iprange is not that high for a company like that.. they are simply split over the 70 or so company's who are the riaa/mpaa..

And these companies have their own ip ranges which are being used..

And! the companies who are solely made for polluting this network know how to get new ranges fast!

On the other hand.. don't worry about isp's for home internet, they will NOT coöporate with the riaa/mpaa so they will NOT be blocked! since there's no reason to wink.gif

If the serverlists are being tested fist, it makes them outdated.. that's why a voting system used on the site in the opening post works pretty well! only the ranges where the good votes exceed the bad votes are being added here, and it works!

Don't believe me? try it yourself! in about one hour you will notice the difference..

the ipfilter list is as far as i can see read in realtime, so emule doesn't has to be restarted to read the new ranges.. if it has to be restarted.. well this will be a good idea for the developers to work around wink.gif

Oh and the answer about getting your own ip in the list? well that makes the voting system work.. i've even found my ip there.. but it was removed after 1 day because of a wrong range.. that's also the advantage of autoupdate.. if there's an error in the list.. it can be removed REALLY fast!
Post #14
Sleepy
Jan 12 2004, 03:03
+Quote Post

We never actually had an answer to this... right? wink.gif
Post #15

2 Pages  1 2 >