A comprehensive list of features, distinguishing eMule Plus
Jan 11 2004, 07:55
Joined: 21-January 03
This is a comprehensive list of eMule Plus features
* Completely Free: eMule Plus is an open source project released under General Public License (GPL), as well as it doesn't contain any spyware, adware or the like. It's free to download and use.
* Improved GUI: the client has been redesigned to have a more intuitive and appealing GUI. Servers, Transfers and Statistics windows has been revamped for better screen usage and greater customization.
* Web Server: originally conceived in eMule Plus but now on official this 'light' interface is useful to remotely control your client. It's evolving each day, adding features to make it better while not making it a resource hog. We have some extended features as Intruder Detection, A4AF support, a graphical queue list, client version information, automatic compression support (gzip) and much more. eMule XP and eMule Light templates are now included in the main distribution as eye candy or simplified interfaces to our Web Server. Templates are optimized to reduce required traffic while keeping compatibility with different browsers.
* Better Interface Design: we take special care in the interface design, so you won't see any misplaced box or a cut string. Images used in our client and sites are done the best way possible by Graphic Designers to be more appealing and meaningful.
* Localization: eMule Plus has its own team of translators localizing new strings. Currently supported languages: Basque, Belarusian, Catalan, ChineseSimplified, ChineseTraditional, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Extremaduran, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Korean, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian.
* Our Own Team of Betatesters: eMule Plus team has an extensive team of beta testers, including Windows 9x users, releasers and a lot of different system configurations are daily tested. We have an extensive testing process before a release. This doesn't mean the client won't have bugs, but there will be less of them or they won't affect the majority of the users.
* Static Servers Priority: priority for static servers can be changed from the GUI without users having to change the configuration files directly.
* Rating/Comments of Files: a better rating information has been added to help users to get an idea of the file rating. With several levels of quality and a special icon to inform users about fakes. This system accumulates ratings of remote users and calculates an average value shown to you in the thermometer style.
* Upload Progress: a different and improved upload progress bar is used to give a better glimpse of the status of a client downloading from you. It shows the number of parts each client has as well as currently downloading part.
* A4AF (Asked for Another File) Management: the ed2k protocol allows only one file to be transferred at the same time from a single client, so other requests to the same user are queued until the transferring file is completed. Our client shows you sources that have been requested for other files in each single file sources list and allows you to force them to switch to another file.
* Stored Sources: when you close your client for long periods sources are lost. Most of them can be recovered with the sources exchange protocol but for rare files the obtained sources from other sessions can be lost. Stored Sources allows you to store sources in a file to be retrieved again when you restart your client.
* Better Client Information: client software as well as the status is shown with different mule icons. Different colors related to the official color of the software are used to give a better insight on the client type distribution in your queues and the status of the clients you connect to or those connecting to you. Credits, friends and banning statuses are also shown with different icon modifications.
* Unneeded Sources: there are sources in your download queue which sometimes don't have chunks for the file you're downloading, so they are using a slot while not being useful for us. This kind of sources are removed automatically when the max sources limit for a file is reached.
* Download Queue Progress: queue progress is shown with color coding (progression, regression or the same position) and information about how many positions were gained or lost after previous source status check.
* Destination Directory: you can set a different (from the main incoming directory) destination directory for every downloading file. After completion, a file will be transferred to that directory.
* Filename Cleanup: automatically or manually activated, this feature allows you to clean filenames. Unwanted advertisement strings or non-cased files can be formatted in a more pleasant way.
* Improved Search: you can search files not containing strings. There is also support for FileDonkey and eMugle web service searches. Search with Unicode allows to search for files containing non-Latin characters. The selected search method is also retained between sessions, so you won't need to change it to your preferred choice every time you start a new search.
* Enhanced Information for Search Results: additional information is available providing the date when servers saw a complete source for the specific file last time. This information can be very helpful during file selection as it shows the risk of staying with incomplete file. Media information (length, bitrate and codec) is provided for media content files in search results. Average file rating (comments are unaccessible) collected by servers is available as well together with the estimation of the number of voted users.
* Related Files Search: a related search gives the files that are the most published by the clients who share the given file set. It can be used to detect related (companion) files, but also anomalies in files distribution.
* Part Traffic: spreading information in p2p applications is vital. Knowing which files are already well spread and which are not is something that releasers request a lot. This information can be obtained from the clients currently downloading from you or by storing all transfers information. The Plus team believe that the second method is better because you know how your client actively performed.
* Part Status: sometimes, old and not well designed clients asks for parts which are already well spread while not asking for rare parts. This isn't useful for the network because files need more time to be spread. With this in mind a feature that allows you to disable access to these parts has been bundled in the client.
* JumpStart: the initial release of a file is mostly chaotic. The problem is that some parts of the file are transferred hundred of times while others are not transferred at all. JumpStart automatically controls a release while supervising the spread of the different chunks by hiding well spread parts. This is an automated and intelligent process.
* Upload System (zz): the ed2k protocol has been designed in a way only full chunks are shared. As chunks have a size of 9Mb you need to complete them before sharing that part to the world. The zz Upload System prioritizes the upload of full chunks while maximizing your upload speed with trickle slots. These slots use the remaining bandwidth not used by the other downloading clients. The speed of spreading parts is prioritized instead of a level transfer speed between all the downloading clients, guaranteeing a faster spread of files on the network.
* Small and Rare Files Boost: higher score for rare and small file requests in waiting queue, what increases chances to upload rare files as well as faster spread small files.
* Shell Menu: for shared files a shell menu is provided bringing you the file handling options supported by the operating system.
* Double-click Behavior: provides a possibility to configure the double-click action for sources and files, letting a user decide which way is better.
* Font Configuration: allows customization of the font style and size used within IRC/chat/log windows.
* Smooth File Completion: while using a custom made copy routine instead of not quite performing system one, completing files now let you with a much more responsive system.
* Message Filtering: allows you to disable messages containing filtered words from being shown. There is an option to keep them in the log.
* Comment Filtering: allows you to disable comments containing filtered words from being shown. There is an option to keep them in the log.
* Intelligent Chunk Request (ICR): the Intelligent Chunk Request system allows faster file downloading by concentrating on the rarest and (or) complete chunks.
* Lancast: saves bandwidth and increases download speeds in dual network capacity environments (your PC is on the internet, but also on a LAN with other eMule clients). Your client will discover other local/LAN sources and will upload to these clients above your client's normal upload limits, using multi-cast. Useful for people who share an Internet connection with other eMule Plus users (student networks, home networks and Metropolitan Area networks as long as they support multi-cast data).
* Complete Sources: a new column in Shared Files window which shows a range of possible values for the number of complete sources, for the files you're currently sharing. If you didn't receive enough data to calculate a total range, you will see an approximate value preceded by a sign "<".
* Sources Exchange Disabling: in some old computers source exchange is a resource hog. The feature can be disabled in our client and you can also set a limit for it to not be used when files have enough sources.
* Banning Configuration: you're mad at aggressive clients or you're soft and don't want to ban anybody. We allow a certain degree of customization and even the disabling of the feature.
* Community Sharing: to improve the spreading of files between communities, Plus includes an option to set a community priority. This feature doesn't mean you will download only to community users, but that they will get a little scoring advantage.
* Multiple Temporary Directories: your temporary disk is filled, but you have enough space at another disk. Plus allows you to set more than one temporary directory letting you use free space at other partitions.
* Customizable Temporary Directory for Categories: a different temporary directory can be specified for a category. After that files will be created in this custom directory when added from start to a new category. That means automatically assigned files and files assigned to the particular category during download starting after a search (files manually assigned to the category will be created in the main temporary directory). Files will not be transferred to a new location if you change the category after file creation or select different temporary directory for the category. This directory will also be added to the list of temporary directories so on next start eMule Plus will scan all of them and find every single part file. This makes it possible to group thematic temporary files as well as use different locations for temporary files.
* Download Autopriority Settings: autopriority limits can be customized regarding your downloading style.
* Main Process Priority: you can set the client to be run on a higher priority if you use processor demanding applications affecting eMule Plus. This way your download/upload speed won't be dropped when an application hogs your processor. Note: this high priority has less effect than OS process priority configured in Task Manager.
* Hashing Priority: the hashing process is a resource hog task. You can set different priorities for it, but take in account that a lower priority will give you a more responsive system while the hashing process will last a little longer.
* Scheduler: you use your Plus client in a place where you can't use all the bandwidth at certain times. With this feature you can set different time shifts to configure your downloading/uploading speed and settings.
* Customizable Sorting: sorting directions and advanced sorting options are available for users to set the list sorting they want/like better on every client start.
* Download All ed2k Links in Clipboard: you can transfer a selection of files from a search result to the clipboard to be pasted in a TXT file for future use. This is useful as an alternative to having lots of files paused.
* Average Data Rate: a new alternative smoothed data rate providing the sustained speed for the download.
* Smoothed Remaining Time Calculation: remaining time for a downloading file is more relevant now. Downloads which will last for more than 100 days will be shown with a question mark.
* Systray-menu: an improved system tray menu that enables you to set the preferable speed with a practical slider, access the preferences and much more. All this while using a better design.
* Countermeasures Against Unfair Clients: some clients on the net are not fair; stealing hashes, giving less slots to eMule clients, promoting leecher clients. Those actions can be taken in account and penalized by your Plus client.
* Exception Handling: a different way of handling exceptions has been designed to help users help us while leaving dumps of crashes which let us know what happened at the time of the problem (not always, but mostly). So, now users can actively help us in problem solving. Anyway, crashes have been reduced to a minimum and even some exceptions don't crash the system at all.
* L2HAC (lowID to highID Automatic Callback): L2HAC reduces load on servers by reducing lowID callbacks. This applies to any eMule Plus with a lowID. lowID eMule Plus clients will connect to remote sources just before a highID source would be scheduled to contact us via a server callback. Because we have contacted the remote client before a server callback occurs no server is needed to establish a connection between two clients.
* Back-Up: you can choose to backup configuration and temporary files used by eMule Plus to be sheltered for a crash or a file corruption event. This backup can be done on demand, whenever you close your client or periodically.
* eMail Notifier: Information and Warning messages can now be sent by SMTP mail for you to be informed of your client status. This feature supports SMTP plain authentication.
* Anti-scanning Measures: if a client requests non-existing file(s) more than 3 times consecutively, then the given IP is filtered for 24h.
* Queue Progress Notification: queue progress is shown with color coding (green: progress in the queue, red: regression in the queue, blue: same position as before) and information about how much positions were gained or lost from the previous source status check.
* Source Filters: you can apply filters to each file in your download list or global filters to remove sources you don't want to see when expanding the sources for a file. There is some configuration in client preferences.
* Queue Filters: an option to filter the queue by client type (friend and credits) is provided in our client. This filter is applied dynamically.
* Keyboard Shortcuts: specific key combinations can be set for common actions (like minimizing the client, or switching to another window, etc). A different sort of key combinations can be set for each of them.
* File Status Icons: meaningful visual notifications regarding file statuses are now an option for the download list. Some actions can be applied to files by clicking on them (i.e. when status paused, unpause the file).
* Processor Specific Optimizations: SSE/MMX/AMD optimizations are now automatically selected and used for better performance.
* Automated Fake Check: you can see in the search window which files are marked as fakes before downloading. The downloading of the database is done by the ed2k network, please keep it shared!
* Improved Client and File Detail Dialogs: better organized, now you can see more information in a clearer way. You have the option to scroll the text when it doesn't fit its placeholder.
* Preallocation of Disk Space: an option to allocate all the space needed for a file so you won't have insufficient disk space to complete the file or lose downloading sources because of standard allocation. This allocation is done in a separate low-priority thread so downloads are not affected as before. Less fragmentation is achieved by using this feature.
* Initialize Option: makes possible restarting of the erroneous download without a need of client restart. The problem should be solved before executing this option or the erroneous status will be triggered again.
* Predefined Status/Media Type Categories: already made categories useful to have filtered views of your download list. Also available in the Web interface.
* Improved Logs: each log event has a different color, so errors can be easily distinguished from warnings or non-important log events. Log tabs have a visual indication notifying about new entries without a need to switch.
* eMule Plus Version Auto-check: with this option you will be informed of new versions when starting the client (there is an option to disable this). A debug log entry is added when this option runs.
* MobileMule: MobileMule is a remote control interface for eMule Plus via a mobile phone with java support. For more information, please, visit MobileMule homepage.
* IRC: built-in own IRC client to enjoy chat while downloading. IRC client automatically detects and decodes utf8 messages, optional utf8 message encoding is provided as well. Autojoin to English (#emule+) and other localized support channels.
* Localized Date/Time: the client uses the user selected OS localization for representing date and time entries. This time style is used all over the client.
* Session Timer: a session timer, shown in the status bar, tells you how much time your eMule Plus has been running.
* Copy of Logs and Chats To Clipboard or File: by right clicking over the window you will have an option to save a log or chat session to a file or copy to the clipboard. Formats supported are plain TXT or RTF, and you have the option to select where you want to save the file.
* Hashing Status: a hashing status log line is added for every hashing file, and if you enable debug log you will have also a log line before a file starts to be hashed so you can debug your hashing problems. There is also a counter in Shared Files window for files waiting to be hashed. During hashing the Reload button in Shared Files is disabled to avoid double hashed entries.
* Backup Link for Downloading Files: a copy of the ed2k link needed to redownload a corrupted file because of a system crash is stored on .txtsrc file header. This link has also sources to get a quick start.
* Country Flags and Statistics: country flags are shown for remote clients telling you from which country a user is. There are additional columns to let you sort by country and specific statistics to let you know the percentage of users. This feature can be disabled for low-end computers.
* Improved Tooltips: extended tooltips with icons, colors and a really nice formatting are provided all over the client. For servers, downloads, sources, status bar, categories. All of them include extended information that can be viewed after placing a cursor over an object for a predefined amount of time.
* Auto Max. Sources and Limit for Overall Sources: you can set a progressive limit for sources as well as a maximum number of sources to be added to your files. With this feature enabled you can have a smoother client start as well as a better client running by controlling the amount of sources found and used at any time in an automatically way.
* Antivirus: if you don't use a live monitoring antivirus on your PC, because of the resources that kind of tool takes, now you can schedule checks of the files which were completed or call it directly from Plus. This option is configurable with extra parameters and can be set to run automatically or be triggered by a download context menu option.
* Corruption Handling: downloaded data is checked for corruption and only valid data will be shared. Corrupted data block is redownloaded automatically. A special algorithm, ICH (Intelligent Corruption Handling), is used to reduce an amount of redownloaded data, what saves in average about 50% of the redownloading data traffic.
* Improved Compressed Streams Handling: eMule Plus has improved the handling of compressed streams to avoid data corruption and minimize an amount of redownloaded data. The old feature "Drop Super-Compressed Blocks" was phased out because there is no need to have it manually set now as that is handled automatically.
* Serverlist Visual Indication: failed servers, connected server and static ones are now indicated with graphical icons for a quick overview and more intuitive server list style.
* Autoupdate IPFilter: you can update IPFilter from an external service avoiding the need to reload the client and to keep the filters updated with a central database. The update can be set to be made periodically on client start. After a successful update you can't update it again in next 24 hours not to exhaust list providers bandwidth.
* Downloading Chunk Time and Size Information: additional information is shown for every downloading such as currently downloading chunk, amount of data required to complete a chunk as well as estimated time of chunk completion by the particular source.
* Fractional Upload/Download Limits: upload and download speed limits can be specified with 0.1 KB/s granularity (minimal speed limit is 1 KB/s). That gives possibility to set speed limits more precisely, thus it helps slightly increase speed limits especially for low-speed connections.
* Comprehensive Chunk Information: extensive information about downloading file chunks is available providing comprehensive data about every part including amount of received data, part status, number of available sources, as well as graphical presentation for better review.
* Command-line Interface (cli): several basic commands are available to control eMule Plus operation from command-line or batch scripts. More details in "FAQ->Tips - useful not visible features".
* Shared File Permission: permission to show a file in the shared files list which can be requested by a remote user. This feature provides comprehensive flexibility to report only desirable shared files for particular user category.
* Auto Download Lists: every X minutes client downloads Xml files from preconfigured locations, which contain ed2k links, those links are automatically added to download into specified categories. Useful for first spreading of files inside groups, etc.
* Improved Source Exchange: tracks all file requests (not only clients waiting for some file in waiting queue) what provides more sources for source exchange requests as some clients can request several files.
* Large File Support: eMule protocol extension to support large files (> 4GB). Maximum supported file size is 512 GB - 1 byte (549,755,813,887 bytes).
|Lo-Fi Version||Time is now: 10th December 2016 - 03:03|